In Your Community » PSE projects » System improvements »
Puget Sound Energy transmission line project
Sammamish – Juanita 115 kV transmission line
Fall 2015 project updates
- PSE is currently working on the project design for the preferred final route. The preferred final route was developed in collaboration with the stakeholder advisory group and input from the community and meeting materials listed below.
- We are working to refine the preferred final route and evaluate the different engineering alignment options and environmental impacts. We will continue to work with:
- City of Kirkland and King County on locating an alignment within the Eastside Rail Corridor.
- City of Kirkland and property owners on the final alignment west of I-405.
- City of Redmond and property owners on an alignment between the Sammamish Substation and Northeast 124th Street.
- Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) on the proposed crossing of I-405.
- Over the next few months, our consultants will be conducting additional environmental studies and considering ways to mitigate project impacts. In addition, we will continue to coordinate with city and agency staff, as well as property owners along the preferred final route.
- We continue to keep the stakeholder advisory group informed of project progress and respond to questions and concerns from individual property owners.
- We anticipate submitting permit applications in late 2015 and expect to begin construction of the transmission line in late 2016 or early 2017, depending on design and permitting schedules.
- View some typical 115 kV transmission lines and poles.
Customer power usage is straining the electric system serving Redmond and Kirkland, which reduces PSE's ability to reliably serve power to area residents and businesses. To increase electric system capacity and improve reliability for customers, PSE plans to construct approximately 4.5 miles of 115 kilovolt (kV) transmission line from the Sammamish substation to just south of the existing Juanita substation to interconnect with an existing transmission line that crosses over Northeast 124th Street.
For more information about the project, review our project fact sheet. To learn more about the community-involved siting process for the project, review the advisory group and open house meeting information listed below.
Committed to keeping you informed
PSE will continue to provide updates to the community. We will notify residents and businesses near the project area when construction will occur. We aim to complete the work with as little disruption as possible.