Heat pump sizing and lock-out control rebate
For electric customers
Receive a $300 rebate from PSE when you have your air-source heat pump sized and install lock-out control equipment in your home.
Heat pump sizing and lock-out control facts
Heat pump sizing is an energy efficiency procedure which verifies that your heating system is appropriately sized for the needs of your home. The evaluation is completed by a qualified contractor and can be performed on either a new or existing heat pump.
A lock-out control is a valuable money-saving tool for heating your home after nights with sudden drops in temperature. It prevents less energy-efficient electric strip heat from turning on during timed warm-up cycles—usually in the morning—where your heat pump's more energy-efficient compression heat is capable of meeting your heating needs by itself.
How to qualify
To be eligible for PSE's heat pump sizing and lock-out control rebate:
- You must be a current PSE residential electric customer.
- If you have an existing air-source heat pump or are installing a new one, you must provide PSE sizing documentation completed by a qualified contractor that indicates the system is properly sized for the home.
- If you are installing a new air-source heat pump, it must be AHRI Certified® with a 9.0 HSPF/14 SEER rating or better.
- Your heat pump must be sized at 30 degrees Fahrenheit, and your heat pump lock-out control must be set to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Existing heat pumps do not need to meet efficiency requirements for this rebate, but cannot be more than 12 years old.
- This rebate is only available with the use of new lock-out control equipment.
- Propane or natural gas furnaces that have been installed as auxiliary heat are not eligible.
For additional savings, this rebate can be combined with PSE's air-source heat pump rebate or forced-air furnace to air-source heat pump conversion rebate.
When available, PSE also recommends using natural gas directly for space and water heating. If you're interested in converting to natural gas, you may qualify for an additional fuel conversion rebate.
How to apply
To apply for this rebate, complete this PDF form online and submit it to PSE in one of two ways:
- E-mail it to email@example.com
- Print and mail it to the address shown at the bottom of the first page
If applicable, be sure to include the PSE sizing documentation listed above with your submission.
If you have any questions, call a PSE Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Find a contractor
You can request a referral for a pre-screened contractor from PSE's Contractor Alliance Network (CAN). Members of this network are fully licensed, bonded and insured, as well as up-to-date with current energy codes and educated on the latest in energy-efficient technology.
If you plan to install the equipment on your own, be sure to include the UPC sticker with your rebate application materials. This is typically found inside the box and includes both an equipment item number and a model number.
Financing options are available for PSE residential energy-efficient equipment retrofits and/or natural gas conversions.