Earn incentives for adding or upgrading efficient controls
HVAC controls are valuable energy-efficient upgrades that produce significant savings in HVAC system energy usage over time. Our Major HVAC Controls program offers incentives for installing three or more energy-efficient control sequences. Incentives can cover up to 50% of your total project cost.
What you get
Your incentive amount is based on the utility services you receive from PSE (electric-only, dual-fuel or gas-only), the energy use of your facility, and the verified savings. There is a guaranteed base incentive after installation and successful verification. An additional performance incentive is given after the controls are in place for at least 10 months and the minimum savings target is met. Current incentive rates are listed below.
Electric and dual-fuel incentives
*Total incentive is base incentive plus performance incentive. **Base incentive amounts are based on a 5% whole-building savings. Whole-building energy use may exclude large non-HVAC uncontrollable/process loads like data centers. If there is no energy metering at the building level, you may also be eligible for an incentive up to $3,000 for sub-metering to assist in determining actual building performance.
How you qualify
To be eligible for a Major HVAC Controls incentive:
- You must be a PSE electric and/or gas customer.
- Your building must be 50,000 square feet or larger and have a permanent operations and maintenance staff. For buildings smaller than 50,000 square feet with no permanent operations and maintenance staff, we offer the Controls Lite option.
- You must be doing a major HVAC controls upgrade, including but not limited to:
- Installing new control equipment and a web-based interface.
- Adding or modifying at least three major energy-efficiency HVAC control sequences as listed on the requirement checklist.
- Your upgrades must pass HVAC controls performance testing provided by PSE.
- Your upgrades must contain features designed to maintain energy efficiency over time as outlined on the requirement checklist and requirement details.
- You must receive pre-approval from PSE prior to beginning all upgrades.
- Your operations and maintenance team must complete training and receive an HVAC facility guide.
How you apply
To get pre-approved for a Major HVAC Controls incentive:
- Complete the custom retrofit grant application and requirement checklist.
- Please include any additional information that would help evaluate the project including, but not limited to, a proposal.
Questions? Get in touch with an Energy Advisor.
Is Controls Lite right for you?
We offer the same base and performance incentives for major HVAC controls upgrades in buildings less than 50,000 square feet that do not have a permanent operations and maintenance staff. The Controls Lite requirements and training are different from the standard program. Read more in our requirement details and requirement checklist documents.
For personalized advice, contact an Energy Advisor.
Or call 1-800-562-1482.