Light bulb recycling

Recycle incandescent and CFL bulbs for free

When you switch to money- and energy-saving LED and CFL bulbs, PSE will recycle your old incandescent or CFL bulbs for free.

Find a recycling center


Due to the ongoing concerns around COVID-19, also known as coronavirus, please call the recycling locations below to verify business hours before dropping off light bulbs for recycling.

It's easy to locate a recycling center for quick and safe disposal of incandescent and CFL bulbs. CFL bulbs can also be recycled for free at retail locations like Bartell Drugs, Lowe's, The Home Depot and McLendon Hardware.

Bulb recycling collection boxes

There are nearly 300 light bulb recycling collection boxes at select PSE offices, retail locations, city halls and other locations. If you're interested, you can host your own bulb collection box.

For more information about PSE's bulb recycling program or to order additional boxes, send an email to or call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482.

customer requirements
Bulb recycling facts
  • Do not put used CFL bulbs in the garbage. CFL bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury and will harm the environment if they are disposed of in landfills in large numbers.
  • Recycled incandescent and CFL bulbs get broken down into their component materials. The glass can be used to manufacture other glass products or as a cement aggregate, while the metal is recycled as scrap. Recovered mercury is purified for reuse in industry or stored in properly permitted facilities.
  • If a bulb breaks, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers detailed instructions for safe clean-up and disposal. Visit the EPA's CFL information site for current clean-up instructions.
ask advisor

Have questions about PSE's green options, including energy efficiency tips and rebates, contractor referrals, electric cars and renewable energy options? We're here to help.

Call us at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or contact us below.

info construction

Request a PSE Recommended Energy Professional (REP) to complete your energy efficient improvement upgrade.