Light bulb recycling
Recycle incandescent and CFL bulbs for free
When you switch to money- and energy-saving LED and CFL bulbs, PSE will recycle your old incandescent or CFL bulbs for free.
Find a recycling center
It's easy to locate a recycling center for quick and safe disposal of incandescent and CFL bulbs. CFL bulbs can also be recycled for free at retail locations like Bartell Drugs, Lowe's, The Home Depot and McLendon Hardware.
Bulb recycling collection boxes
There are nearly 300 light bulb recycling collection boxes at select PSE offices, retail locations, city halls and other locations. If you're interested, you can host your own bulb collection box.
Do I qualify?
- Do not put used CFL bulbs in the garbage. CFL bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury and will harm the environment if they are disposed of in landfills in large numbers.
- Recycled incandescent and CFL bulbs get broken down into their component materials. The glass can be used to manufacture other glass products or as a cement aggregate, while the metal is recycled as scrap. Recovered mercury is purified for reuse in industry or stored in properly permitted facilities.
- If a bulb breaks, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers detailed instructions for safe clean-up and disposal. Visit the EPA's CFL information site for current clean-up instructions.
- 弃置CFL灯泡的正确方法 (Chinese)
- 소형 형광램프 전구의 적합한 처리 방법 (Korean)
- Правила удаления в отходы компактных люминесцентных ламп (Russian)
- Correcta eliminación de bombillas compactas de iluminación fluorescente (Spanish)
- Wastong pagtatapon ng compact fluorescent na mga bumbilya (Tagalog)
- Việc thải bỏ bóng đèn huỳnh quang cỡ nhỏ đúng cách (Vietnamese)
Have questions about PSE’s green options, including energy efficiency tips and rebates, electric cars and other renewable energy options? We’re here to help.
Call us at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or contact us below.