If you live in a low-lying area near a body of water, you may be in a flood zone. Follow these tips to keep yourself and your family safe.
In the event of a flood:
- If you smell natural gas, leave the area and call 911 or PSE at 1-888-225-5773 immediately.
- If your gas meter becomes submerged in flood waters, report it by calling us at 1-888-225-5773.
- Stay out of flooded basements. Energized wiring or electrical outlets below the water line may pose a hazard.
After the flood:
- Call PSE at 1-888-225-5773 if flooding causes water levels to cover your natural gas meter. We will need to check the meter and the regulator to ensure it has not been affected by the water. If the appliances themselves were not flooded, they may continue to be used.
- Appliances that have been flooded must be inspected by a licensed HVAC technician or plumber before they can be used again.
- If gas was shut off at the meter, it can only be turned back on by PSE.