Natural gas reliability
PSE operates and maintains approximately 26,000 miles of natural gas mains and service lines in six counties covering 2,900 square miles. We serve more than 800,000 natural gas customers. About 75 percent of the natural gas system consists of corrosion-resistant plastic piping and the remainder is cathodically-protected, coated steel pipe.
Delivering safety and reliability
Safety is our top priority when it comes to designing, constructing, operating and maintaining the natural gas system. At PSE, we know our customers, employees and the communities we serve expect to live and work around a safe and reliable natural gas system.
Our focused effort to maintain a safe natural gas system also ensures we’re delivering a consistent and affordable supply of natural gas to our customers. We regularly monitor and inspect our natural gas system to make corrections before problems arise.
Routine maintenance and inspections
While state and federal operations and maintenance requirements for natural gas operators are steadily increasing, PSE routinely goes beyond the required standards. PSE technicians and other field employees are conducting patrols, leak surveys, and various inspection activities on the natural gas system daily to look for anything out of the ordinary. Sophisticated electronic gas-detection equipment is used to inspect:
- Every neighborhood's natural gas system at least once every three years.
- Natural gas pipelines within business districts and near high-occupancy structures annually.
- Natural gas transmission pipelines every six months.
Natural gas system improvements
Our improvements to the natural gas piping systems also enhance safety and help
continue providing customers with reliable natural gas. Examples of natural gas system improvements include:
- Replaced all cast iron and bare steel pipelines in the natural gas system, which are materials more prone to cracking and corrosion.
- Proactively replacing older coated steel and older plastic pipelines that are susceptible
- Planning for future customer growth by upgrading existing or installing new pipelines
to meet the demand.
For additional information on natural gas safety, visit pse.com/gassafety.