Our customers want clean energy and we’re committed to working together to make this a reality. We’ve been an early leader, investing billions in renewable resources and energy efficiency for homes and businesses in our region.
Our mission today is deep decarbonization, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and transforming our business to deliver on the objectives of Washington’s Clean Energy Transformation Act. PSE will be coal free by 2025 and our electric system will be carbon neutral by 2030. Our commitment to clean energy includes:
- Moving closer to coal-free electricity years ahead of schedule with the sale of Colstrip Unit 4, and the closure of Units 1 and 2 in early 2020.
- Studying battery storage technology in a variety of scenarios, including the ability to provide wind and solar energy storage.
- Leading as the largest utility producer of renewable energy in the Pacific Northwest and the third-largest utility owner of wind power in the nation.
- Innovating to modernize the grid, helping customers save money and energy while improving reliability and reducing PSE’s carbon footprint.
- Helping Washington address transportation, its single largest source of emissions, by investing in electric vehicles and the development of LNG for maritime and commercial transportation.
- The safe operation of two hydroelectric power projects. Our plant at Snoqualmie Falls, built in 1898, still operates and provides clean energy to thousands of local homes and businesses.
- Creating ground-breaking renewable energy programs like Green Direct, which provides commercial and municipal customers the ability to purchase 100 percent of their energy from dedicated, local, renewable energy resources.
Clean Energy Transformation Act timeline
Innovations in carbon capture, forest management
The Winston Creek Forest Carbon Project is an innovative forest management project by Port Blakely. It seeks to lower greenhouse gas emissions by increasing the biomass of its forest, achieved by extending forest rotation age twenty years.More