Multifamily new construction incentives
Build your energy-efficient multi-unit complex for less
When planning the construction of a new multifamily property, you can use PSE's multifamily new construction incentives to reduce the cost of integrating energy-efficient equipment into your project from the start.
For a summary of this program, you can view or download our multifamily new construction brochure.
What you get
The total value of your new construction grant depends on your estimation approach, which a PSE Energy Management Engineer (EME) can help you choose:
Grant Value Grant Maximum Semi-prescriptive whole-building approach Whole-building and energy-efficient equipment The grant value per square foot is scaled up with increased quantity of energy saving measures No Maximum Whole-building custom approach Equipment and installation $0.30 per annual kWh savings and $5.00 per annual therm savings compared to code-baseline or standard practice system. No Maximum Lighting power density reduction1 All lighting except residential in-unit $0.15 per annual kWh savings. Lighting must be 20% more efficient than the current WSEC.
Up to 100 percent of the cost to build beyond current energy code or standard practice Custom approach Energy-efficient equipment that saves energy above WSEC Up to $0.30 per annual kWh and $5.00 per annual therm saved compared to code-baseline or standard practice system, subject to PSE cost-effectiveness standards. Examples include condensing boilers, exterior lighting, heat recovery, demand control ventilation, etc. Up to 100 percent of the cost to build beyond current energy code or standard practice Post-occupancy building commissioning Post-occupancy commissioning fees only $0.35/sq. ft. for third-party, post-occupancy building commissioning per current energy code that are served by all of PSE services. For PSE electric only customers, the incentive is $0.25/sq. ft. For PSE gas only customers, the incentive is $0.15/sq. ft. Up to 75 percent of commissioning agent's post-occupancy fees
1TLEDs do not qualify for the NC Lighting Power Density reduction program, and they should be incentivized via PSE’s Lighting To Go program.
In addition to grant savings, PSE can also assist with lowering ongoing operation cost projections for your project, which in turn could help you get more favorable financing rates from potential lenders.
To be connected with an EME near you, call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
How to qualify
To be eligible for PSE's multifamily new construction incentives:
- You must currently be or plan to become a PSE business electric and/or natural gas customer.
- Your new property must be a multifamily or mixed-use dwelling with at least three attached units.
- Your new property must be within PSE's electric and/or natural gas service area(s).
- You must be pre-approved by PSE prior to installing any energy efficiency improvement measure(s).
Electric and natural gas incentives
- You must meet the equipment and/or site requirements above for each respective energy efficiency improvement measure.
- You must provide the following to PSE for each proposed custom energy efficiency improvement measure:
- Documentation that defines scope and specific action(s)
- A baseline electricity and/or natural gas energy usage measurement
- Installation cost(s)
How to apply
To apply for PSE's multifamily new construction incentives, complete this multifamily new construction application and either:
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Print and mail it to the address shown at the bottom of the first page
Have questions about PSE’s green options, including energy efficiency tips and rebates, electric cars and other renewable energy options? We’re here to help.
Call us at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or contact us below.