Earn incentives on energy-efficient lighting
Lighting can amount to more than 40% of your business' total energy usage, which is why energy-efficient lighting yields long-term savings. No matter your business' size, our Business Lighting Incentive Program has flexible options to help you affordably upgrade your lighting.
Recent additions to our offerings include:
- Contractor performance incentive: A supplemental incentive of $0.01 per kilowatt-hour based on final project savings that’s paid directly to the company responsible for completing the Business Lighting application and submitting all pre-approval and payment documentation.
- Business Lighting Tenant Improvement: Baseline and incentives for tenant improvement lighting projects use the 2015 Washington State Energy Code. Drawings required showing space and area square footage. Read more about this program here.
- Business Lighting New Construction: Baseline and incentives for new construction lighting projects use the 2018 Washington State Energy Code. Read more about this program here.
What you get
Interior and exterior lighting incentives
Street lighting incentives
The kWh incentive is for first-year savings and is limited to 70% of total project cost. A complete list of qualifications can be found on the “Terms and Conditions” tab of the Business Lighting Application.
How you qualify
To be eligible for our Business Lighting incentives:
- Your business site must be within PSE's electric service area.
- You must be a current PSE business electric customer.
- You must complete the current Business Lighting application.
- You must sign and return the grant agreement AND receive pre-approval from PSE before any work begins on the project.
- A complete list of qualifications can be found on the “Terms and Conditions” tab of the Business Lighting application.
Before planning your lighting upgrade, be sure to verify that you're only using new, incentive-eligible lighting products.
All fixtures, retrofit kits and lamps must meet PSE minimum specifications (UL, ETL or equal listing; Power Factor greater than or equal to 0.9; manufacturer's warranty greater than or equal to 5 years). You must submit a manufacturer’s specification sheet for every incentive-eligible light fixture.
How you apply
To be pre-approved for a Business Lighting incentive:
- Download and complete the current Business Lighting Standard Application.
- If your project has five or fewer lighting types, you can download and complete the Business Lighting simple application.
- Submit the following items to email@example.com:
- Business Lighting standard or simple application (.XLSX)
- Printed and signed signature page from the application (.PDF)
- A signed and completed current taxpayer identification form (IRS form W-9 Rev 2018)
- The manufacturer specification sheets of all lighting products included in the project (.PDF’s)
After PSE reviews and approves your application, you will receive a grant agreement (a contract), which must be signed and returned to PSE within 90 days of receipt to ensure your application and incentive amount are approved. Project installation may not proceed until PSE receives the signed grant agreement and returns or confirms a fully executed grant agreement.
The total value of your Business Lighting incentive depends on the size and scope of your project.
For small-scale lighting upgrades, find out if our Lighting to Go instant discounts can also help.
Interior and exterior lighting project types
Retrofit lighting projects
Fixtures, lamps and controls installed in existing interior and exterior applications. Existing lighting is the baseline for energy savings. Confirmation of the existing lighting is required before removal.
Tenant improvement and commercial new construction lighting projects
Fixtures, lamps and controls installed in tenant improvement, commercial new construction and other projects where the existing lighting has been removed before PSE application review.
Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) lighting power allowance (LPA) is the baseline for energy savings. Tenant improvement lighting projects use the 2015 WSEC (drawings required showing space and area square footage), and new construction lighting projects use the 2018 WSEC (drawings required showing space and area square footage).
All projects and incentives require Business Lighting review and written approval. Final incentive amount is determined by the Business Lighting team.
Contractor performance incentive
The contractor performance incentive (CPI) is a supplemental incentive paid directly to the company responsible for filling out the application and submitting all pre-approval and payment documentation. See the Business Lighting application for details on what type of documentation is required for pre-approval and payment. CPI is included in the Business Lighting application and pertains to all Business Lighting projects started on or after June 1, 2022. The incentive will be paid at $0.01 per kWh of the final project savings. Minimum of $50 per project with no maximum cap.
Incentives apply to equipment and installation.
If you’re planning a street lighting retrofit or new street lighting installation, we need to confirm if you are on a metered or unmetered account. Metered projects use the Business Lighting application and follow the instructions listed above.
Unmetered accounts use a separate application. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before filling out the application if you're unsure of your meter status. All unmetered (flat rate schedule) street lights must be coordinated with PSE Pole Services.
Multifamily* building retrofit
Multifamily common area lighting projects use a different application than Business Lighting. If you are doing a multifamily common area lighting project, please contact the Multifamily Retrofit program team at email@example.com.
* Multifamily applies to common areas of a campus or building with five or more attached dwelling units.
For personalized advice, contact an Energy Advisor.
Or call 1-800-562-1482.
PSE office space: With Luminaire Level Lighting Controls, PSE increased its own energy savings by 72%.
School gymnasiums: PSE helps Snoqualmie Valley and Oak Harbor high schools shine brighter and save more.
Commercial customers: Northwest Chevrolet and Ace Hardware are lit up from big savings.
Athletic clubs: Local athletic clubs strengthened their bottom line with PSE’s Business Lighting program.
Central Kitsap Food Bank: See how lighting improvements helped Central Kitsap Food Bank feed more than just the community.
Outdoor lighting: West Valley Business Park saved big with exterior lighting upgrades and Business Lighting incentives.