We aspire to be a beyond net zero carbon energy company by 2045.
We envision the energy we provide not only slowing climate change, but helping reverse it.
To achieve this vision, we’re pursuing a collection of commitments and aspirational goals:
- We’re committed to reducing emissions from PSE electric and gas operations and electric supply to net zero by 2030. By 2045, PSE will have a 100% carbon-free electric supply.
- We aspire to reach net zero carbon emissions for natural gas used in customer homes and businesses by 2045, with an interim target of a 30% emissions reduction by 2030.
- We will go beyond reducing emissions that we report by partnering with customers and industry to reduce carbon across sectors and across the state.
The path to achieving Beyond Net Zero Carbon is complex. We don’t have all of the answers today, but with the right combination of technology, policy, and partnership, we believe this is possible.
Energy is essential for communities, and we’re committed to creating a better energy future for our customers and neighbors across the region.
Beyond partnering to support our customers through this difficult time, our mission today is deep decarbonization and greenhouse gas emissions reduction. We were an early leader in addressing climate change, investing billions in renewable resources and energy efficiency for homes and businesses. Now, we are on the path to meeting the current and future needs of our customers and to deliver on the objectives of Washington’s Clean Energy Transformation Act.
Our customers want clean energy and we’re committed to working together to make this a reality. As part of our commitment, we’re:
- Moving closer to coal-free electricity years ahead of schedule with the closure of Units 1 and 2.
- Encouraging community members to have a voice in developing our Clean Energy Implementation Plan — an essential part of our efforts for delivering 100% clean electricity by 2045.
- With our customers, saving 67 billion electric kWh and 600 million natural gas therms through energy efficiency programs.
- Creating a new financial assistance program to distribute millions to customers impacted by COVID-19, and helping customers more easily get bill payment-assistance from existing PSE HELP and LIHEAP funds and additional support.
- Studying battery storage technology in a variety of scenarios, including the ability to provide wind and solar energy storage.
- Leading as the largest utility producer of renewable energy in the Pacific Northwest.
- Innovating to modernize the grid, helping customers save money and energy while improving reliability and reducing PSE’s carbon footprint.
- Helping Washington address transportation, its single largest source of emissions, by investing in electric vehicles and the development of LNG for maritime and commercial transportation.
- Safely operating two hydroelectric power projects. Our plant at Snoqualmie Falls, built in 1898, still operates and provides clean energy to thousands of local homes and businesses.
- Creating ground-breaking renewable energy programs like Green Direct, which provides commercial and municipal customers the ability to purchase 100 percent of their energy from dedicated, local, renewable energy resources.
- We also produce a comprehensive overview of our environmental, social and governance practices, and we are a founding member of an industry-led coalition to measure the impacts of our operations from production to end use.
Helping businesses and cities meet their clean energy goals
Our industry-leading Green Direct program allows PSE corporate and governmental customers to purchase 100 percent of their energy from dedicated, local, renewable energy resources. We’re continuing to add even more renewables to help customers reduce their carbon emissions.Learn More
Innovations in carbon capture, forest management
The Winston Creek Forest Carbon Project is an innovative forest management project by Port Blakely. It seeks to lower greenhouse gas emissions by increasing the biomass of its forest, achieved by extending forest rotation age twenty years.More