Puget Sound Energy natural gas project
Portland Avenue E - area natural gas main realignment
2018 project updates
- Construction began in late May and will last approximately 3 months.
- Work will soon begin on the residential section of this project. Crews will be working along the grass right of way on E N Street, and along the road on E 29th Street, which will impact street parking. "No Parking" signs will list dates and times, and be placed in impacted areas in advance of any parking restrictions.
- This project is necessary to accommodate WSDOT work to demolish the L Street Bridge, PSE is relocating existing natural gas infrastructure along Portland Avenue E, E 29th Street, E N Street, and E 31st Street in Tacoma.
In conjunction with the WSDOT I-5 M Street to Portland Avenue – HOV work, PSE will be relocating the existing natural gas main away from the L Street Bridge – which WSDOT will be demolishing – and realigning the natural gas main to make way for WSDOT’s work.
We’re committed to completing the work safely and efficiently; and our crews will do their best to reduce impacts to nearby neighbors.
- Who: Natural gas crews from PSE and InfraSource
- What: Realigning a section of existing underground natural gas pipe
- When: Beginning in early April and expected to last approximately three months
- Work along Portland Avenue E will typically occur Monday through Saturday, overnight from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Work along the other streets will typically occur Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and possibly Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Where: A portion of Portland Avenue E, E 29th Street, East N Street, and E 31st Street, Tacoma
What you can expect
- Prior to work beginning, our tree trimming partner,Asplundh, trimed brush along right-of-way up the E 31st Street hill between East M and East N Streets
- Signs and traffic control flaggers will guide vehicles safely through the work zone
- There will likely be noise from trucks and heavy machinery
- Signs will be posted to designate parking restrictions along the route
- This work should not impact electric or natural gas service for customers
For more information on WSDOT’s I-5 M Street to Portland Avenue – HOV work please visit www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/MStToPortland.
We’re proud to serve in your community and aim to complete the work with as little disruption as possible. Thank you for your patience as we work to complete this project.
Safety is our top priority when it comes to designing, constructing, operating and maintaining a natural gas system that serves more than 800,000 PSE customers. We are committed to listening to our customers, maintaining an informed and open conversation about our work, and being responsive to customer needs. PSE monitors over 26,000 miles of natural gas pipeline across six counties in our service area.