Puget Sound Energy transmission line project
Electron Heights-Enumclaw transmission line and substation upgrades
2018 project updates
- We are working on permitting, detailed design and easement acquisition for the 1.5 mile, 55 kV transmission line in Enumclaw
- The route will travel along Garrett Street from Battersby Ave to Stevenson Ave..
- We'll keep the community informed of our plans as they develop.
- We completed Phase 1 in October 2009 and Phase 2 in July 2010.
To increase reliability and meet growing customer demand for power, PSE is upgrading the existing 55 kilovolt (kV) substations and transmission lines between Electron Heights and Enumclaw to 115 kV.
These multi-year projects began in 2009 and include converting the voltage of over 20 miles of transmission line between the Electron Heights and Krain Corner substations; installing roughly 1.5 miles of new transmission line in Enumclaw; converting, upgrading or completely rebuilding five substations; and adding a fiber-optic line.
Current project in 2018
Build roughly 1.5 miles of 55 kV transmission line from a point outside the Enumclaw substation, along Garrett Street (following the existing distribution line) to a point on the existing 55 kV transmission line east of the Stevenson switching station. Take a closer look.
Phase 1 (completed in 2009)
- Electron Heights - Stevenson 115 kV transmission line rebuild: PSE rebuilt eight miles of existing 55 kV transmission line to 115 kV standards between our Stevenson switch on Stevenson Ave in Enumclaw and a location near the Wilkeson substation, located on Church St in Wilkeson.
- The new transmission line will not be energized to 115 kV until the entire project is complete.
Phase 2 (completed in 2010)
- Electron Heights - Stevenson 115 kV transmission line rebuild: PSE rebuilt the final 12.2 miles of existing 55 kV transmission line to 115 kV transmission line standards from the Wilkeson substation to the Electron Heights switching station on Electron Rd in Orting.
Additional projects in planning
- Build a new Buckley substation off 112th St E and demolish our old Buckley substation.
- Install a 115 kV capacitor bank within our Krain Corner substation on 268th Ave SE in Enumclaw.
- Upgrade electrical equipment at our Enumclaw substation on Battersby Ave in Enumclaw.
- Rebuild the Wilkeson substation from 55 kV to 115 kV and install a new 115 kV transformer and other related equipment. During construction, we will bring in a mobile substation unit to power the town reliably for nearby customers until the upgraded substation is complete.
- Install a new fiber-optic line between the new Buckley substation and Krain Corner substation to improve communications amongst the new facilities.
- Remove old 55 kV equipment from the Electron Heights switching station.
- Convert the transmission system voltage from 55 kV to 115 kV.
We welcome your questions and comments! Please contact:
Download the information
Download these PDF files for more detailed information about the project.
Project Materials (2009)