Puget Sound Energy natural gas projects
Seattle core natural gas projects
2018 project updates
Alaskan Way Viaduct-related work
- Crews from PSE and our contractor Infrasource have installed 520 feet of natural gas pipeline along Columbia St, Seattle.
- The new pipeline will ensure a safe and reliable natural gas supply to support decommissioning of the Alaskan Way Viaduct and ongoing waterfront development.
Center City Connector Streetcar-related natural gas projects
- PSE's streetcar-related natural gas main relocations in downtown Seattle have concluded pending finalization of the City of Seattle's independent technical review of the project.
- We will continue to keep local residents and businesses informed when this project resumes.
- Sign up for our Center City Connector Streetcar email list to receive regular construction updates when the project resumes.
12-inch pipeline relocation project
The final phase will begin after the Viaduct is demolished. We will relocate a segment of 12-inch pipeline from Pike Street going north to Elliott Avenue.
Center City Connector Streetcar
In conjunction with SDOT's Center City Connector Streetcar (C3) project, we are working to relocate, reconfigure and protect segments of intermediate pressure (IP) natural gas line in downtown Seattle. This work will be coordinated with other utility relocation prior to C3 construction. We are working closely and proactively with SDOT and other jurisdictions to ensure the continued safety and reliability of our existing natural gas system in the area.
This project is required to accommodate construction of the C3 project. Visit SDOT’s project website for more information.
Completed 2018 work:
- Relocation of IP natural gas pipeline along 1st Ave, between Madison St and Yesler Way.
- Replacement and relocation of two service regulators along 1st Ave S, between Columbia St and S Main St.
- Relocation of additional sections of natural gas pipeline along 1st Ave, between Stewart St and Seneca St.
Completed 2017 work:
- Relocation of IP natural gas line along S Jackson St, between 1st Ave S and 2nd Ave S.
- Relocation of IP natural gas line along 1st Ave S, between S Washington St and S Jackson St.
- Replacement and relocation of one service regulator along 1st Ave S, between Columbia St and S Main St.
Alaskan Way Viaduct
In conjunction with Washington State Department of Transportation's (WSDOT's) Alaskan Way Viaduct (AWV) Replacement Program and several other Seattle-area transportation projects, PSE is working to relocate, reconfigure and protect segments of natural gas pipeline in areas of downtown Seattle.
The broad program of work
The AWV Replacement Program, Waterfront Seattle and C3 are collectively the largest set of associated projects to take place in the Puget Sound region in several decades. Additionally, there are multiple other Seattle-area transportation projects planned to take place over the next several years; many of these projects require relocation of utilities, including PSE's natural gas system. These projects are driven by the City of Seattle, Sound Transit, WSDOT, the Port of Seattle and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
PSE is working closely and proactively with all jurisdictions and agencies to ensure the continued safety and reliability of our existing natural gas system in the area.
For information on these projects, visit the websites:
Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program
Safety is our top priority when it comes to designing, constructing, operating and maintaining a natural gas system that serves more than 800,000 PSE customers. We are committed to listening to our customers, maintaining an informed and open conversation about our work, and being responsive to customer needs.
PSE monitors over 260,000 miles of natural gas pipline across six counties in our service area. Learn more about natural gas safety at pse.com/safety.
We welcome your questions and comments. Please contact:
Senior Project Manager
Download more information below
2017-2018: Streetcar-related natural gas relocation project
2018: Columbia St AWV-related work
2015: 12-inch high pressure natural gas pipeline relocation project construction updates
2014: Mercer West-related natural gas project updates
2014: Seawall-related natural gas projects updates
2013: 12-inch high pressure natural gas pipeline relocation project: weekly construction updates
- Weekly construction update (Nov. 18)
- Weekly construction update (Nov. 4)
- Weekly construction update (Oct. 28)
- Weekly construction update (Oct. 21)
- Weekly construction update (Oct. 14)
- Weekly construction update (Oct. 7)
- Weekly construction update (Sept. 23)
- Weekly construction update (Sept. 16)
- Weekly construction update (Sept. 9)
- Weekly construction update (Sept. 2)
- Weekly construction update (Aug. 26)
- Weekly construction update (Aug. 19)
- Weekly construction update (Aug. 12)
- Weekly construction update (Aug. 5)
- Weekly construction update (July 29)
12-inch high pressure natural gas pipeline relocation project: project information
12-inch high pressure natural gas pipeline relocation project - June 25, 2012 public meeting