Energy-saving tips for your home
Saving energy doesn't have to be a challenge—you can take simple steps every day to manage your home's energy use.
- Set the thermostat to 68°F or lower when you're at home and awake, and lower 7°F to 10°F when you're asleep or away. Install and properly set a smart thermostat to automate temperature changes.
- If you have baseboard heaters, turn the thermostat down or off in unoccupied rooms and close the door. Do not do this if you have a furnace or heat pump.
- Change the filters in your heating equipment regularly (about every 90 days) during the heating season.
- Keep areas in front of baseboard and wall heaters, room registers and return air grills clean and clear of furnishings, curtains or other objects that block airflow.
- Have your heating system inspected regularly by a professional to ensure its operating efficiently and safely.
- Set the water heater thermostat to 120°F or the "low" setting.
- Find and fix leaks in fixtures and pipes. If your water heater is leaking, replace it.
- Install inexpensive pipe insulation on all exposed hot water pipes and on the first three feet of exposed cold water pipe connected to the water heater.
- Wash clothes in cold water and take shorter showers.
- Use the dishwasher rather than hand-washing dishes and don't pre-rinse dishes.
- Install low-flow, high-performance showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Buy a water heater blanket, and wrap it around the tank to prevent heat loss.
- Replace incandescent lighting with ENERGY STAR® qualified light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs and fixtures, particularly in areas you use most. LED bulbs use at least 80 percent less energy while lasting 13-25 years longer than incandescent bulbs. Save instantly with PSE discounts on select LED bulbs and fixtures at participating retailers.
- Choose the right bulb for each room. LED bulbs come in a variety of shapes, sizes, brightness and color to suit nearly every household fixture.
- When they do finally burn out, properly recycle CFL bulbs for free at participating retail locations and household-hazardous-waste facilities. Find a location here.
- Find out more information about select LED bulbs.
- Take advantage of natural light and turn off artificial lighting whenever possible.
- Always turn off lights in unoccupied rooms. You can make this happen automatically with lighting that has motion detectors.
Appliances and electronics
- Avoid over-drying laundry and clean the lint filter every time you use your dryer to decrease drying time. Consider an ENERGY STAR certified appliance.
- Think about whether you need that second fridge or freezer in the garage or basement. Older units can cost more than $100 a year to power.
- When cooking, match pots and pans to the right-sized burner. Use a microwave oven, rather than your stove, to heat food whenever possible.
- Many electronics draw power even when turned off. Plug items like TVs, DVD players and game consuls into power strips that you can switch off when not in use. Special "smart" power strips do this automatically.
- Use inexpensive weather-stripping and door sweeps to reduce air leaks around entry doors. For a no-cost fix, roll up a bath towel and hold it against the bottom of the door with a weight.
- Fill, patch or caulk holes in floors and ceilings connected to unheated spaces. Often, large holes can be found in closets. Weather strip or temporarily seal access doors or hatches leading to unheated upper floors or attics.
- Check that your floors, walls, duct system and attic ceiling are properly insulated.
For PSE customers: Manage your energy usage online
- For personalized energy-saving suggestions, complete an online home assessment to update your home’s energy profile in the Analyze my usage section of your online account.
- Measure, and monitor your home’s energy usage.
- Find additional energy efficiency suggestions in our Ways to save tips library.
To learn more or receive personalized advice over the phone, call a PSE Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visit the PSE Marketplace to purchase energy efficient products and receive your PSE rebate instantly.
Must be a qualified PSE residential customer to receive the PSE rebate.